Click here to make a Uniform Booking

Proudly Australian since 1936

Hambours - our story

M. Hambour & Sons was incorporated on 10th June, 1936. The company founder and first Managing Director was Michel Hambour, who ran the business from 110 Gawler Place, Adelaide. The company’s main business at that time was as general merchants.

When Michel died in 1942, his eldest son, Archibald Michel, became the Company’s second Managing Director. In April 1961, Archie’s son, David Michel, began working as a Junior Sales Assistant at the company office, warehouse and factory in Gawler Place. In 1974, after a number of relocations, the Company began operating from their current, purpose-built offices, warehouse and factory premises at 2 Wilson Street, Royal Park. After Archie retired in 1980, David became the Managing Director.

Over many years our company has designed, manufactured and sold a wide range of products. For many decades, pre- and post - WWll, the company was the local agent for Nile Industries, Burlon Hosiery and Latoof & Callil among many others. Hambours has a history of supplying Manchester, men’s and women’s clothing, underwear, knitwear, and hosiery to retailers. In addition, our company has designed, manufactured and supplied its own men’s wear, women’s and children’s outerwear, sleepwear, maternity and school wear ranges to South Australian retailers.

During the war years, our company made uniforms for Australian soldiers. In the sixties, we made stock and made-to-measure shirts for the SA Police, SA Fire Brigade, St. John Ambulance, as well as uniform items for government departments and hospitals.

The earliest clothing label used was 'HAMSON'. In 1967, Doug Ferguson joined the company, and his experience helped to expand our school wear division under its most recognisable label, 'FERGUSON'. As a result of this collaboration and the success of the brand, the company decided to focus on the design, manufacture and supply of quality school and college uniforms. Other labels have included 'PLAYING FIELDS' and 'MHS Designs'.

We take pride in the extent to which we have influenced the evolution of school uniform design as it is today in South Australia. We were instrumental in the development of innovative fabrics and garment designs.

In 1996, Hambours took over the John Martin’s school wear department known as 'ONE STOP SCHOOL SHOP', establishing itself as a major school wear retailer. When John Martin’s closed its doors in 1997, the school wear business was transferred to David Jones (original site). In 2005, the uniform shop moved to the old Harris Scarfe Adelaide store.

Hambours have supplied many on-site school and college uniform shops in South Australia and interstate. In addition, we provide retail facilities to schools and colleges interstate, locally and from our own on-site shop at Royal Park.

Our company is one of the oldest established school wear manufacturers and retailers in South Australia. We are extremely proud of our heritage and reputation as a South Australian company. Our goal is to continue to supply well designed manufactured garments and customer service of the highest quality to all our valued current and future clients.

Hambours are totally committed to quality and service. We are determined never to compromise our high standards, only to improve on them.

Our Guarantee

We guarantee all garments bearing our 'Hambours' label against faulty materials and workmanship. If you are not satisfied, we will gladly exchange or refund the item you have purchased.